Saturday 28 June 2014

Game of Thrones season 4, in quotes

First, my top 10 quotes for season 4, then a list of all notable quotes (it's not too long!).



1. TYRION LANNISTER - During Tyrion's trial, Tywin asks Trion if he wishes to confess: 
“Nothing but this: I did not do it. I did not kill Joffrey but I wish that I had! Watching your vicious bastard die gave me more relief than a thousand lying whores! I wish I was monster you think I am. I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you. I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it. ... I will not give my life for Joffrey's murder and I know I'll get no justice here. So I will let the Gods decide my fate. I demand a trial by combat!”


Watch this on Youtube
2. GREY WORM “If the masters never cut me, I never am Unsullied, I never stand in the Plaza of Pride when Daenerys Stormborn orders us to kill the masters. I never am chosen to lead the unsullied, I never meet Missandei from the island of Naath”.



3. SER SANDOR CLEGANE / THE HOUND “Fuck the King!”




4. CERSEI LANNISTER, QUEEN REGENT “I love my brother…I love my lover…people will whisper and tell jokes, let them, they’re so small I don’t even see them. I only see what matters.”





5. STANNIS, HOUSE BARATHEON "If I do not press my claim, my claim will be forgotten. I will not become a page in someone else's history book."



6. DAENERYS 'STORMBORN' TARGARYEN “I will not let those I have freed slide back into chains”






7. OBERYN MARTELL, PRINCE OF DORNE "SAY HER NAME!...YOU RAPED MY SISTER. YOU MURDERED HER. YOU KILLED HER CHILDREN!"



8. GRENN ET AL, PLEDGE OF THE NIGHT'S WATCH “Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands and father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honour to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.”



9. SER ALLISER THORNE, LORD COMMANDER OF THE NIGHT'S WATCH "Tonight we fight. And when the sun rises, I promise you, Castle Black will stand! The Night's Watch will stand!"




10. CERSEI LANNISTER, QUEEN REGENT “Your legacy is a lie”

PUTDOWNS, GAME OF THRONES STYLE

Lord Yohn Royce
To Littlefinger: “And when Jon Arryn named you Master of Coin, no-one cared. It’s always been a grubby job, why not let a grubby man do it?”

Jaime and Ser Loras, 'competing' for Cersei


Jaime: “You’ll never marry her!” | Ser Loras: “Neither will you.”

Brienne of Tarth
To Podrick: “You’re not interesting enough to be offensive”

QUOTES BY CHARACTER

Aemon Targaryen
“Old age is a wonderful age of ironies”

Arya Stark
To Hound: “You’re fine with murdering little boys but thieving is beneath you.”

Arya: I'd have killed Joffrey with a chicken bone if I had to. 

Hound: I'd pay good money to see that. 

Petyr Baelish
“Sickly little boys sometimes become powerful men”
“Know your strengths, use them wisely and 1 man can be worth 10,000”
On Ser Dontos: "He's a drunk and a fool."

Brienne of Tarth
On her sword: "I’ll call it Oathkeeper”

Bronn
Oberyn Martell: And what are you? His hired killer?
Bronn: Started that way, aye. Now I'm a knight.
Oberyn Martell: How did that come to pass?
Bronn: Killed the right people, I suppose.

Bronn on his new clothes:  “…softer than a virgin’s thighs.”
Getting Jaime to free Tyrion, recounting the incident from the Vale of Arryn: "You gonna fight for him now?"
To Jaime: "Did ya learn to fight in a castle?!”

Cersei Lannister
“I love my brother…I love my lover…people will whisper and tell jokes, let them, they’re so small I don’t even see them. I only see what matters.”
To Tywin: “Your legacy is a lie”
“What good is power if you can’t protect the ones you love?”
“Everywhere in the world, they hurt little girls”
To Tywin: “I’m not interested in hearing any more of your smug stories about the time you won. This isn’t going to be one of those times!”
“He could be the first man in 50 years to sit on that throne and deserve it.”
"You never love anything in the world the way you love your first child. It doesn't matter what they do. And what he did, it shocked me. Do you think I'm easily shocked?"

Daenerys ‘Stormborn’ Targaryen
“I will not let those I have freed slide back into chains”
"I will answer injustice with justice!”
“They can live in my new world or die in their old one.”

Ser Davos

To the Iron Bank of Braavos, about Stannis: “He doesn’t just talk about paying people back, he does it!”

Eddison of Night’s Watch
"Once I’m done with this world, I don’t want to come back"

Grand Maester Pycelle
“…his curiosity was deemed dangerous and unnatural!”

Ser Sandor Clegane / The Hound
[Pretty much everything that came out of his mouth]
Arya Stark: My sword. Needle. 
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: [derisively] Needle. Of course you named your sword. 
Arya Stark: Lots of people name their swords. 

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: Lots of cunts. 

"I understand that if any more words come pouring out your cunt mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."
“Her aunt in the Eyrie’s dead. Her mother’s dead. Her father’s dead. Her brother’s dead. Winterfell is a pile of rubble. There’s no safety, you dumb bitch. If you don’t know that by now, you’re the wrong one to watch over her.”
"Dead men don't need silver!”
"He's weak and will be dead come winter!"

Jaime ‘Kingslayer’ Lannister
"How can I protect the King when I can't even wipe my own arse?"

Jojen Reed
To Karl, Craster's Keep: “I saw you die tonight…I saw your body burn…I saw the snow fall and bury your bones”

Jon Snow / Samwell Tarly
Jon Snow: “There’s this person, this whole other person, you’re wrapped up in them…for a little…for a little while you’re more than just you…oh, I’m not a bleeding poet.” Tarly: “No, you’re really not.”

Kenning, Greyjoy Lieutenant
“The Ironborn will not surrender”

Mance Rayder, King Beyond The Wall
“…all the same, we don’t kneel”

Oberyn Martell
“People everywhere have their differences…in some places, the highborn frown upon those of low birth. In other places, the rape and murder of children is considered distasteful…but the fortunate thing for you, former Queen Regent, is that your daughter Myrcella has been sent to the latter sort of place.”
About the Mountain: “He killed my sister…he shouldn’t have lived this long.”

Unknown old man in Daenerys’s court
"The young may rejoice in the new world you have built for them, but for those of us too old to change, there is only fear and squalor"

Olenna Tyrell
[Pretty much everything that came out of her mouth]
"Olenna: ...nonsense, your circumstances have improved markedly. You may not have enjoyed watching him die, but you enjoyed it more than you would've enjoyed being married to him, I promise you that.
Margaery: But I would've been the Queen!
Olenna: Our alliance with the Lannisters is as important to them as it is unpleasant for us. You did wonderful work with Joffrey. The next one will be easier."

"Killing a man at a wedding…what sort of monster would do such a thing?”
“You don’t think I’d let you marry that beast, do you?”

Ramsay Snow / Bolton
“What are we without our history?”

Wildling
[to Jon Snow] “You’ll never be a kneeler”
On (allegedly) having sex with a bear: “She was nice and soft down below”

Robyn Arryn
“I’ll be able to fly anybody we don’t like”

Roose Bolton
On Bran escaping: “Unimportant…a cripple, a young boy”

Samwell Tarly
“I wasn’t Samwell Tarly anymore…when you’re nothing at all, there’s no reason to be afraid”
“I made a promise to defend the wall and I have to keep it…because that’s what men do!”

Sansa Stark
“I have been hostage in Kings Landing…a plaything for King Joffrey to torture or Queen Cersei to torment”

Tree-man
“He died so you can find what you have lost…you’ll never walk again, but you will fly”

Tyrion Lannister
"If you want justice, you’ve come to the wrong place.”
To Jaime: "You're the golden son. You can kill a king, lose a hand, fuck your own sister, you'll always be the golden son."
To Pod: "I will not have you die on my behalf!"
“Every kind of filth down here except the filth I like”
Tyrion’s almost admiring reaction to Bronn’s conversion: “Because you’re an evil bastard with no conscience and no heart?”
"I suppose I'll have to kill the Mountain myself. Won't that make for a great song?!"
"Deciding a man’s guilt or innocence in the eyes of the gods by having two men hack eachother into pieces…tells you something about the gods”

Tywin Lannister, Hand of the King
On Robert Baratheon: “He used to pat me on the back a lot. I didn’t trust him.”
To Tyrion, at the end: "...you refused to die. I respect that. Even admire it. You fight for what’s yours!"

Unknown in Daenerys’s court
“I pray you’ll never live to see a member of your family so cruelly treated”

Yara Greyjoy
“Everything they’ve done to him [Theon], they’ve also done it to you!”

Ygritte
“We’ll be up and over before they know what’s happened!”
“All I want to think about is how each one of these arrows will find its way into a crow’s heart”

No comments: